Sunday, August 09, 2009

Pikes Peak Preparations

Wednesday I'll be flying out to Colorado Springs to spend time with my brother and his family AND to run the Pikes Peak Ascent!!

It's too late to get my body ready for the climb so now I'm making sure I have everything else ready.

This picture shows my new Nathan HPL 028.


The Nathan is loaded up with what I hope to take with me. Out-of-towners are advised to bring every type of clothing they might possibly need and then decide race morning what to use. So the other clothes pile is the "every type of clothing I might need" pile and some of that will go in my sweats-check bag the race officials will take to the summit.



Here's a pace chart the master of Pikes Peak (Matt Carpenter) has put together indicating when you should be where for different finishing times. I've printed out a modified version of this and will have it with me - I don't really know what to expect but I know I have no use for the first columns, and I figure even hitting times in the 4:30 column will indicate impending doom.


the blog plan: if it works I'm hoping to take pictures along the way and send them to this blog with my current time. It might just further clutter up the blogosphere but I think it'll be cool if it works. I don't know what my brother is going to do while I'm running up Barr Trail... maybe he'll sit at home watching my blog to get an idea of when and where he should pick me up. :) In theory the pacing chart and any blog posts should give anyone who cares an idea of how I'm doing. [Note: if you see a bunch of #@$%@#$%^@#$%@#$% and 2nd pictures of the same places then you'll know I missed a cut-off and was sent back down the mountain.]

my Pikes Peak history: my brother and I hiked up Pikes Peak in 2006 and it took me a little over 8 hours. All the advice says to take it easy on the bottom to not burn yourself out... or you'll pay for it at the top. Ok, but I need to make up more than an hour and a half and I figure the only place I *can* do that is at the bottom. So it'll be interesting. Since I've done it before I figure I can make the climb, but I am wondering if I can do it fast enough to make the cut-offs. Oh well, that's why we sign up and do these things, right??


Yeah, this whole blog post is a good indicator I'm getting just a bit excited about the whole thing! :)


****************************************

Some updates -- a webcam link and a picture:

8 views from the summit of Pikes Peak



9 Comments:

Blogger Londell said...

Good luck. I hear it is more of an issue with the elevation and careful, well thought out pacing is the key. I think you will be fine, but can not wait to hear the report and I hope you carry a camera? Sure it will be a little slower, but cool to have a great report with pictures!

5:50 PM  
Blogger Kel said...

Good luck Wayne! I'm sure you'll nail the pacing and make the Peak :)

You're gonna love your Nathan too, although I recommend replacing their bladder with a Camelbak (unless they've fixed the constant leaking bite valve issues).

6:15 PM  
Blogger wildknits said...

Whooo hooo! and the answer to my question the other day!

Have fun out there - and what an incentive to stay on pace (if you don't you have to transport yourself down the mountain).

6:56 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Have fun! I can hear the excitement in your post! Hope you like the Nathan pack - I find mine very comfortable. Definitely pack enough clothing to stay warm - a few friends did it last year when the conditions got pretty bad. Which of course means that this year conditions will be perfect!

8:41 PM  
Blogger Mike W. said...

Good luck, I will look forward to seeing the pictures. Make sure you enjoy yourself, remember it's just a 1/2 marathon with a bit of elevation gain. My guess is after doing the ascent, you will have to go back next year and run the Marathon :-)

9:30 PM  
Blogger Karen G said...

Good Luck- You will do great!!! No negative thoughts!!!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I actually counted my steps when I was hiking the 14'ers...it helped me out when the air got really thin! You'll have a blast!!

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're already on top! I'll be waiting for the updates and photos. Keep your phone on because if you don't look like you're having fun I'll be giving you a call.

Ted

5:14 PM  
Blogger Jim Parry said...

Have a blast and remember to not go out too hard!

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home