Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Half Voyageur Trail Marathon

This past weekend was the Half Voyageur Trail Marathon which runs from the Duluth Zoo to Carlton. This is the 2nd half of the Voyageur 50 mile course.

Sat was a beautiful day... sunny, not hot, some nice breezes at times... a dry course, no jarrow's beach -- I don't think it could've been any better for my first Half Voyageur! I've heard a lot of good things about this race and I'd have to say it's a keeper.

As usual it was fun to hang out and visit with folks before the race got under way (including Steve and Glenn from Rochester... hi guys!). These first pictures are all from Karen G. I managed to run with her the whole way. We started out with Craig and Rick B, and as usual crossed paths with quite a few others throughout the day.

Having some fun at the beginning.


Karen and Rick are really fast on the downhills... wow. I'd glance up and they'd have 50-60 yards on me just like that. Thankfully they were nice enough to wait up for me. Well, Karen anyway... Rick not so much. He's a pretty nice guy and was even named the Runner of the Month in the Northland Runner world. But like Ted, he doesn't like it when you try to pass him!!

Pass at your own risk!


I'm not sure when but eventually Rick B dropped us and moved on ahead. Even though she's recovering from some long, hard races... Karen could've done the same but didn't and held up whenever she gapped me (Thanks, Karen!). Eventually we made it to the world-famous Power Lines!

Here we go...


... made it through the first section!


We kept cruising along and eventually made it through the power lines and the next few sections and soon found ourselves crossing the bridge and entering the last stretch.

A quick stop and then on to the finish!


In the last section we hooked up with Rick K. I have to say it seemed like this run was awfully easy for him. I got mixed in with another group of runners and lost contact with Rick K and Karen for a little while... I had to push to catch back up and was happy I was able to do that. As you'll see in the next set of pictures, we hooked back up with Rick B too. I think he probably felt bad for ditching us so he waited for us on the Munger trail... what a guy (just don't try to pass him)!

So how about a sprint finish... after 26.2 miles. These pictures compliments of the speedy Lisa "wildknits" M. who finished in 5:01 and would've had time for a shower, a meal, and a nap before snapping these photos:

Karen makes her move and
gets a jump on the Ricks


But did she go too soon??


Yup, just barely!
The Ricks reacted well.


Me? I don't play those silly games...
I coast in for my solo photo op.


And then I look down at the key moment... doh!


This was a very fun race and went well. The 4 of us came in at 5:53 - I wasn't sure what to expect and was very happy to finish in under 6 hours. Since this was only my 2nd trail marathon and the other one was the Moose Mountain Marathon on the Superior Hiking Trail... this was a PR race. I believe Karen said this was a PR for her too. Woohooo! The results can be seen here. My Garmin Connect data can be seen here.

Thank you to the race directors and all the wonderful volunteers that put this race on! If you haven't done this race before, consider it for next year. I sure hope the weather and trail conditions are the same for the full Voyageur in a couple weeks. I just might be up there cheering and working an aid station.

11 Comments:

Blogger Londell said...

This post is a good example of what is great about trail running. Stop and pose for a picture, view the sites ans sounds, enjoy what is around you during a race and not running as fast as one can, but hang with good friends. If this was a road race we would hear "are you kidding". Congrats on another PR.

6:05 AM  
Blogger wildknits said...

You are on a roll this year! And setting a fine example on how to continue accumulating PR's (and have fun while doing it!).

Speedy, eh? Not a term I would associate with my name, but okay - it is all relative after all.

Great pictures of the race course - especially the powerlines!

Guess I had better get to work on my race report! Maybe once the strawberries are preserved/consumed:->

7:28 AM  
Blogger Kel said...

Sounds like another perfect day to be out on the trails Wayne! I may have to put that race on my schedule one of these years.

Nice job on another PR, too :)

8:29 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

You're getting good at this blogging stuff! This race has to be at least a little more fun than a January in Duluth one :) Looks like you had fantastic weather and beautiful scenery. Congratulations!

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, found your blog and had a good time reading it..
the picts were great too..see you at the full Voy??
Rick K
(the one on the left) ;-)

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I noticed that in all your pics you were either walking, standing, or screwing around. Well, that explains your time! When are you going to get serious about this stuff? I think I'm speaking for everyone who reads this blog when I say lets all hope the photos in your Pikes Peak post will show a little more effort on your part.
To use my wife's words on our wedding night "you really disappoint me!"

By the way, I would have worn the same running outfit.

Ted

6:18 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Great report!! The pictures tell a good story. Sounds like you guys had fun AND PR'd - can't beat that! See you at Voyageur.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Mike W. said...

Well done effort, glad you are having fun, looks like Afton provided just the right tune up. The course looks nice as well, thanks for sharing.

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super write up! It was a great run for you! And as always it was good to see you again. Rick B (the one on the right) :-)

11:18 PM  
Blogger SteveQ said...

It's so hard to find pictures that show what the power lines are like! Yours are the best so far. I hope I look as happy as you guys on my second time through them!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Carl Gammon said...

Nice job, Wayne. It sounds like a fun time was had by all, and the way you enjoy every run is fantastic. If you're up at Voyageur this weekend, keep that camera ready!

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home