Tuesday, September 02, 2008

SUPERIOR!!!!



Finally the Superior Trail Races (Fall version) are here!

For some like me that means running the Moose Mountain Marathon: 26.2 miles on the Superior Hiking Trail. For others that means running the Superior Trail 50 mile or the Superior Sawtooth 100 mile. And for others that means volunteering to make these races happen.

Not everyone emails or blogs, but the excitement level of those that do is very high... and it's contagious. I find myself pumped up by the excitement of the aid station workers making plans to provide the best support possible, the runners going back to complete some unfinished business, the runners going to attempt a certain race or distance for the first time, and everyone else involved for whatever reason. It's fun and easy to get caught up in everyone else's story, so every now and then I have to remind myself that I'm actually running too! :)


So speaking of me running, here's a picture of me finishing the Rochester Half Marathon a couple weekends ago. In the last year I've started running more miles, on more trails, with more hills, played around with low heart-rate training... and a couple months ago observed that I had gone from slow to deathly slow. It seems I'm making a little bit of a comeback as my Rochester Half time was a PR for at least the last 7 years.

Woohooo, right? Well, yeah. It's always fun to have a good race and do better than you expect. And some increase in confidence is a good thing. Being over-confident isn't so good though. Last Fall I ran a good half also, and then proceeded to crash and burn at Whistle Stop after deciding I should "PR or bust". That was just plain foolish and I have no intention of repeating that mistake.

But then again, it would be really cool to put in a good one on Sat! I would like to move from total survival mode on these long runs to where I push things a bit. hehe And that's part of the fun, isn't it? Where's the line between pushing a bit and crashing and burning? I guess I'll see if I can figure that out on Sat. At least I know that whatever happens, I'll be out there with a bunch of great people - both those trying to finish their particular race and those doing everything they can to help us along the way.

I hope all the Superior runners have a great day (or day and a half, whatever the case may be), and a big Thank You to race director Larry and all the superior workers making it happen!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Londell said...

Thanks and the weather looks great! I know it will not happen that I reach 77 miles in 26 hours so you would have to run by me, but I am sure you will see other 100 mile runner to encourage... Take care

7:18 AM  
Blogger Matthew Patten said...

That's the spirit. Althoug, I would not try and PR with this one :).

Just remember when you hit Temperance AS, you were working it last year.... and now you are running it.

Next year the 50.

See you somewhere out there this weekend.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Karen G said...

Good Luck Wayne,
I was also sort of feeling low key about my race thinking about the 100 milers more too. I think I am more excited and worried about being a volunteer and doing things right.
It is too bad in a way the other races are at the same time as the Marathon because it is the best marathon in MN and I wish I could do it too. Enjoy it!!!
Are you drining up that morning for your volunteering?
karen

10:54 AM  
Blogger SteveQ said...

I'd say the line between pushing and chrashing and burning was 1987 for me. Hope to see you up there!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Kel said...

I'm sure I'll run into you at the start, but in case I don't have a great run!

See you at the kids table ;)

12:33 PM  
Blogger keith said...

Woah dude!!! Time to throw down!

(or up if as the case may be).

Nobutseriously! Good luck! See you at the finish. You'll have a good run.

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home