Sunday, April 19, 2009

Trail Mix

Wow, what a nice day for a trail race. The weather for Trail Mix was great (though maybe it got a little warm for the 50Kers). After running the 25K I hung around the park and enjoyed the day, watching the 50K runners finish (and chatting with Curt, Keith, Adam, Zach and family, etc). For the 2nd weekend in a row it was nice to see people out and about after a long winter.

I've been swapping emails about this race with Lisa (aka, wildknits) and it was fun to see her there. We actually started out running together - she dropped me going down the ski hill and I caught back up for most of the wood chip section. We finished loop one at about 1:15 and I knew I was done. Lisa did great as she basically ran even splits by holding that pace and finished in 2:31. Nice job, Lisa... I think you're primed and ready for your first 50K trail race later this year! :)

Early during my 2nd loop I saw 50Kers E and Les and Karen and some other familiar faces (Rick, and Shelly?) on the out-and-back section. I was mostly just trying to hang on but this gave me a little motivation that maybe I'd be able to catch them. I did catch a few of them towards the end of the loop and then let Karen pull me to the finish.

Loop 2 took me 11 minutes longer than loop 1 for a total time of 2:41. This wasn't good enough to keep the streak going as I would've had to run about 2:28 to do that, but it is a couple minutes better than my 2007 time on the full course... so I'm happy with it. As for the streak, the plan is to start that again this next weekend at the Chippewa Moraine 50K!

Congratulations to everyone who was out there running Trail Mix! Here are some pictures I took after I was done running (not great, but better than nothing? click to see big pic).

If you look closely you'll see at least 4 new 100 mile finishers since last Fall (Woohooo!!), and two of them joined that list last weekend!








7 Comments:

Blogger SteveQ said...

If I look this bad now, what'll I look like after Superior???

2:12 PM  
Blogger Kel said...

Nice job on keeping the streak going Wayne! The dry weather probably helped with faster times at the Trail Mix course this year even though the ski hill was back in the game.

I'll be well rested for Chippewa since I've been tapering all winter. See ya there!

2:37 PM  
Blogger Carl Gammon said...

It was great to see you out there Wayne, and thanks for taking some pics (as usual).

7:09 PM  
Blogger Mike W. said...

Well done, see you at Chippewa.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Londell said...

I argue, based on times, last year was a shortened course which was not as difficult... So the 2007 time was apples to apples, the streak is alive! Great job!

7:40 PM  
Blogger keith said...

Good luck at Chippewa!

8:51 PM  
Blogger SteveQ said...

I just saw the pics Jen Pierce took of me. Yours were actually flattering.

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home