Sunday, November 09, 2008

MNTRS and UMTR

The MN Trail Running Series (MNTRS) is a series of 12 trail races throughout Minnesota, ranging in distances from 5K up to a marathon. (Follow the link to learn more about the races, results, rules, registration.) This is a great series. Besides learning about some of the best races out there, it's a good way to get to know other runners in the series as you see them at the different races.

I was introduced to the series by Kate Havelin at a local race (Chester Woods) in 2007. What really caught my attention was the cool award she had for doing ALL of the races the previous year. I could relate to her story: "I'll never win an award based on how fast I run, but there's an awesome award for completing all the races."

The series dictated a big part of my 2008 running schedule! I decided to sign up and try to do all the races. And what was really cool... 3 other runners decided to do the same thing. Kel, Jim, John, and I all decided to go for it -- to "shoot the moon" -- and thankfully we discovered early that there were 4 of us. We looked for each other at each race, enjoyed catching up and encouraging each other, and I'm happy to report that we all did it!!

Congratulations Kel, Jim, and John!! Check out Kel's recap of all the races, and our cool awards (made by Larry Pederson, President of the UMTR, one of the creators of the MNTRS, and the guy with the beard in the back of the photo):

photo from Phillip Gary Smith, Ultrasuperior.com

The above photo was taken at the UMTR Awards Fest -- the 1st Annual Awards Fest celebrating a season of running.

The Upper Midwest Trail Runners (UMTR) is a new club for anyone who likes to run off road. (Follow the link to learn lots more.) The UMTR has adopted the MNTRS, and created a 2nd series: The Fab 5 Fifties is a series of 9 ultra trail races with distances of 50K or 50 miles throughout the upper Midwest, stretching over 1000 miles from South Dakota to Michigan.


So are you a trail runner? Or are you interested in trying it? The UMTR is the place to be... check it out and consider joining for 2009! I will be renewing my membership. I really enjoyed the MNTRS races in 2008 and will certainly do some of them again in 2009. But I also have my eye on some of the races in the Fab 5 Fifties series. I hope to see you out there...

6 Comments:

Blogger Londell said...

Hey, go for 25 years in a row at the Fab series... Kidding... As I looked at it, it is all at once which I wonder if that is not harder than once every 365 days for 25 years. You asked why I have said I was going to quit grandma's after 25 years in a row, I do not enjoy the race at all. The past 8 or so years have been more like hate it but I have the 25 year goal. It is just to darn big... Will I be there at 26? I have good friend who wants to do is and has hinted I help her... She is good looking and that may encourage me, otherwise I am done...

6:35 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Quite an accomplishment! I still can't believe all the miles you did this year. I doubt I'll ever get to the point of doing stuff like this but who knows - I never thought I'd run a marathon until I met you :)

8:16 AM  
Blogger SteveQ said...

I haven't managed to squeeze a Michigan race into the Fab 5 series yet, but I'm working on it!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Kel said...

Sure was a fun ride, wasn't it?

Do you know if Phillip has his pictures posted anywhere? Can't find them on his site or the UMTR site.

2:32 PM  
Blogger SteveQ said...

Note to Kel: Phillip's photos will be on the UMTR website someday when our web guru Gretchen has time.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

Nope, not me. I don't care how big that hunk of wood is. That's just way too far, but hey, you (wayne) almost have me convinced to think about Grandma's. I can't believe that I would ever considered running before a year ago. You're such a salesman.

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home